Expat Life: Bali, Anyone?

by missfootloose on August 9, 2014 · 7 comments

in Bali, books, exotica, Expat Writer, life abroad

FINDING EDEN, A NOVELHave you ever been to Bali? Heard about it? What would you do if you unexpectedly inherited a little beach hotel on Bali? How cool would that be?

While living in Java, Indonesia, I, Miss Footloose, also spent some time on exotic Bali, island of festivals and temples, of mystery and seduction, of flowers and smiles. For years I dreamed of moving there, living there permanently, but it was not to be. Instead I moved to the South of France which isn’t half bad. But so charmed was I with exotic Bali that I used it as a setting for a romance novel. You want to know what it’s about? Here goes:

A lie. A man. The wrong truth. When nothing is as it should be, who are you?

Deceived by the people she loves, Eden escapes New York to the exotic island of Bali to recuperate from emotional trauma and to take possession of a dilapidated tourist hotel inherited from the father she never knew.

Instead of finding peace and mental restoration, she finds Nick Sterling. Not only is Nick a sexy man who disturbs her hormonal chemistry, he is determined to buy the shabby hotel from her for reasons that make her very suspicious of his motives. Who is this man? Who was her father? And why are the evil Balinese spirits invading her humble hostelry?

Haunted by lies and deception, Eden struggles to find the truth, but how can she trust her own intuition and love Nick when nothing is as it should be?

Really now, how exciting is this? What a fabulous beach read for the summer! You can even read an excerpt for free, imagine that! Just click on the cover image above and it will take you there.

I trust, dear reader, that you have kept up with my every single post and remember the tale of my experience on a topless beach on Bali, but just in the off chance you missed it, here’s the link: Topless on Bali.

Do you like reading books with foreign settings? What is your favorite? I’d love to get some titles!

YTSL August 9, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Hi Miss Footloose —

Believe it or not, I’ve never been to Bali. Some people love it but others complain about hordes of drunk tourists – the latter obviously is pretty offputting.

Hailing from Malaysia (and now living in Hong Kong), the vast majority of books I read – never mind like – have foreign settings since the language I prefer reading in is English! Should you ever like to try books set in these places though, I’d like to recommend, for Malaysia, local writer Sri Delima’s “As I Was Passing” (Volumes 1 and 2) and, for Hong Kong, Martin Booth’s “Gweilo”.
YTSL recently posted..Lacy and Music (This week’s Photo Hunt themes)My Profile

missfootloose August 10, 2014 at 1:59 am

Thank you for those titles! In Bali I would have loved to have a house in the mountains, inland, where it’s very peaceful and quiet, not near the beaches where the hordes of tourists hang out. Hope you love living in Hong Kong! I visited briefly a long time ago, very interesting and exciting place, but crowded 😉 Unless you live up on the Peak…

Sami Veloso August 10, 2014 at 6:42 am

Never been to Bali either. Living in Perth, Bali is the closest to a holiday Paradise the Perthites have (closer than some of the cities in the East Coast too), but having seen a few documentaries on how the Australian youth behaves in Bali, the lawlessness, etc, it has somehow put me off too. I would rather go to Fiji or New Caledonia…
Congratulations on the new novel, looks like a good summer read!
Sami Veloso recently posted..Public Art in Perth 2My Profile

Gordon Barlow August 17, 2014 at 5:03 pm

My wife and I spent a month in Java and Bali in 1974. (Our son was conceived there, which accounts for his brown curly hair, brown eyes and tendency to tan quickly. I guess…)

We stayed in a hotel just off Kuta Beach for $2 a night. Those were the days, eh? The beach wasn’t up to much, we thought, but at least it didn’t have used needles all over the place, which it had in later years, I’m told. We went out on the lake in a rowboat, with guide – and had to struggle mightily to get back to shore when a squall blew up. We took a local bus, and didn’t get travel-sick like some of the locals; that’s when I learnt that it’s not always wise to grab a window-seat. We went to a concert of gamelin music, which reminded us of the worst kind of Turkish music.

All in all a super few days there. Thanks for the reminder!
Gordon Barlow recently posted..The old address-bookMy Profile

guyana_gyal August 19, 2014 at 9:22 am

I’m a sucker for romance novels set anywhere! The other day, I was yearning for one, and I had none at home.

I’m not reading a romance novel right now, I’m reading The Good Husband of Zebra Drive.

I’m off to read the excerpt.
guyana_gyal recently posted..Finally…My Profile

Eli Sunday Siyabi August 25, 2014 at 5:45 am

Hi Miss Footloose, I’ve been following you since long (although I’ve never told you ;). Yesterday I gave you THE VERY INSPIRING BLOGGER AWARD among 15 others who, at the beginning of my journey in 2012, inspired me and gave me strenght to follow my dreams, write and travel the world.
You can fint the Award here: http://www.toohappytobehomesick.com/the-very-inspiring-blogger-award-7-curiosita-mai-rivelate-su-di-me/

It’s in Italian, but you can always have it (badly) translated with Google.
Thanks and keep on inspiring others with your life. Your writing is amazing. Yours is definitely my favourite expat blog.

missfootloose August 25, 2014 at 10:12 am

Grazie, Eli! So nice to know you’ve found my blog inspiring. Good luck on your travels; the world is a fabulous place! (PS: Italy is one of my favorite countries.)