Living Abroad: A Bit of Humor

by missfootloose on December 13, 2013 · 10 comments

in Expat life, Humor, life abroad, travel

Miss Footloose has a collection of quotations related to travel and life abroad and hopes you might find in the selection below a bit of comfort, wisdom and humor to sustain you in your daily struggles.

The real act of discovery is not in finding new lands, but in seeing with new eyes. – Marcel Proust

I traveled a great deal all over the world, and I got along pretty good in all these foreign countries, for I have a theory that it’s their country and they got a right to run it like they want to. – Will Rogers

I can’t think of anything that excites a greater sense of childlike wonder than to be in a country where you are ignorant of almost everything. — Bill Bryson

Cannibal Special

Cannibal Special

Whenever cannibals are on the brink of starvation, Heaven, in its infinite mercy, sends them a nice plump missionary. — Oscar Wilde

If you look like your passport picture, you’re too ill to travel. – Will Kommen

I am pleased the Ministry of Culture is protecting the morals of the expatriate bankers and their girlfriends. — Mick Jagger

Fork in the Road

If you come to a fork in the road, take it. – Yogi Berra

When one realizes that one’s life is worthless he either commits suicide or travels. — Edward Dahlberg

It’s an amazing country. Nearly everyone who lives here is an expatriate. It’s like a fairyland. — Pan Howell (Must be Dubai…?)

Wings

Two of the greatests gifts we can give our children are roots and wings. – Hodden Carter

The further one goes, the less one knows. – Lao-tzu

Americans who travel abroad for the first time are often shocked to discover that, despite all the progress that has been made in the last 30 years, many foreign people still speak in foreign languages. – Dave Barry

The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight. One Hundred Years of Solitutude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Catalan bookstore owner in Macondo

Please share your wisdom, quotes, humor or trivia. I’d love to hear it, so hit that comment button!

FacebookStumbleUponDiggDeliciousRedditTwitterGoogle+LinkedInEmailKindle ItYahoo MessengerWordPressPrintBookmark/FavoritesPinterestTumblrGoogle BookmarksYahoo BookmarksGoogle GmailShare

Irene December 14, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Love these….you can’t beat travel…it’s the best education

missfootloose December 14, 2013 at 8:24 pm

And the most interesting!

Judy December 14, 2013 at 2:39 pm

What a lovely collection! My own favourites:
Not all those who wander are lost – J. R. R. Tolkien
Unpack your bags and plant your trees – Charles Frame (advice to Ruth Reken from her father about living a full life wherever you are)
Judy recently posted..The Repairman Cometh (again)My Profile

missfootloose December 14, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Thank you! I have to add those to my stash!

Gordon Barlow December 14, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Here in Cayman, in the Caribbean, we are plagued with a strong anti-expat sentiment that is fostered by all the local politicians. Native-born ethnic Caymanians are protected against foreign competition in the private-sector workforce, and the effect of that protection is that they don’t feel the need to become educated, or to learn anything about the outside world. In several blogposts and newspaper columns over the years I have declared my partial solution as follows. Give every school-leaver $1000 cash, a backpack, and a one-way air ticket around the world good for 12 months. When they come back – if they do come back – they shouldn’t need to be protected from competition. Is that too harsh a solution, do you think?
Gordon Barlow recently posted..More trouble in ParadiseMy Profile

Grace @ Sandier Pastures December 15, 2013 at 5:46 am

Dubai’s population consist of 80+% expatriates from 200 different countries!

YES!! Spot on! :)
Grace @ Sandier Pastures recently posted..Taiken nyuugaku: Experiencing local school in JapanMy Profile

Turkey's For Life December 15, 2013 at 8:53 am

Enjoyed those! A good smile to start my Sunday morning. :)
Julia
Turkey’s For Life recently posted..Life In Turkey – 2013 In ReviewMy Profile

Pat December 15, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Loved everyone these quotes and as an expat I can relate to all of them.
Pat recently posted..Best Gift Ever– A Flight Home for the Holidays With My BabyMy Profile

Sami Veloso December 16, 2013 at 3:31 am

Great quotes! Travel does broaden the mind.
Sami Veloso recently posted..DIY Christmas GiftsMy Profile

guyana_gyal December 17, 2013 at 7:14 pm

The Proust quote has always been my favourite, and it’s in my manuscript [which I'm having a tough time editing due to family duties].
guyana_gyal recently posted..Would you eat this? Huh? Would you, huh, huh?My Profile