Expat Fun: Window Shopping in Rome

by missfootloose on March 24, 2012 · 18 comments

in Fashion and Clothes, Italy

Bald mannequinWhether you’re an expat or not, you have to wear clothes in public (unless you’re in a place where nudism is the fashion), which means you’ve got to go shopping and buy them.

Are you a fashionista? You love clothes? You love shopping? I, Miss Footloose, do not belong to your tribe, but hey, once in a while I do get rather fascinated by the fashion scene. I was in Rome last month, and I walked the streets for hours and could not help looking in the shop windows. I was especially charmed by all the bald mannequins. Below are some photos of what I saw. And no, I did not buy any of these clothes, although I was tempted by a few items. Once in a while I forget I am not a skinny model.

Rome fashion

Where is she off to without hair and no hat?

Rome fashion

Love those reflections

Rome fashion

Rome fashion

These two live in a less fashionable Rome neighborhood, but at least they have hair

Window shopping in Rome

Seen before Valentine's Day

Window shopping in Rome

Maybe I should have bought one of these outfits. Then a friend might say, “Oh, I love your dress!” And I’d be able to say, ever so casually, “Oh, I got that in Rome last month.” How cool would that be? Sadly, I’m not cool. Really, I should work on that.

Window shopping in Rome

Can you spell foot pain, knee pain, back pain?

Rome fashions

And of course don't forget to wear one of these

Now that I am back in Moldova, I just noticed that in the upscale shops on Pushkin Street in Chisinau (the capital), the mannequins go bald as well. Mannequins may have been bald for years, but I never noticed.

Enough already.

Any fun fashion story you’d like to share? What is your favorite place for window shopping? Scroll down and hit that comment button.

FacebookStumbleUponDiggDeliciousRedditTwitterGoogle+LinkedInEmailKindle ItYahoo MessengerWordPressPrintBookmark/FavoritesPinterestTumblrGoogle BookmarksYahoo BookmarksGoogle GmailShare

Steph March 24, 2012 at 1:03 pm

You know, I don’t think there are any mannequins, bald or otherwise, in our local large town of Gueret. I can’t recall ever seeing one. We’re a very rural area. I guess the shops think they’d be too elegant for us!
Steph recently posted..Friday Night RitualMy Profile

missfootloose March 24, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Steph, sometimes ignorance is bliss!

Expat Mum March 24, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Even sadder – I live about 1.5 miles from Chicago’s Michigan Avenue and I couldn’t even tell you what the shops are never mind whether or not the mannequins have hair! Must get out more!
Expat Mum recently posted..My Week in TweetsMy Profile

missfootloose March 24, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Expat Mum, I’m glad I’m not alone in being ignorant of mannequin hair styles, or lack thereof.

Karen March 24, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Dang, if those two haired mannequins came walking down the street in those clothes, I might start running in the opposite direction. That leopard faux fur with ribbing is most definitely a global Mademoiselle magazine DON’T!
Karen recently posted..Africa Day @ the Global Minds Book ClubMy Profile

missfootloose March 27, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I love seeing those ancient/antique mannequins in less wealthy places and countries! Scary, sometimes, yes!
missfootloose recently posted..Expat Fun: Window Shopping in RomeMy Profile

ladyfi March 25, 2012 at 8:33 am

Most mannequins do have hair which is why I think we notice the ones without. Having said that, I do prefer the shops that actually have mannequins in different colours and sizes…

I hate shopping and am happy with my second hand clothes bought over a decade ago!
ladyfi recently posted..The last of winterMy Profile

Mara March 26, 2012 at 8:11 pm

The best clothes (well sort of) I ever saw on mannequins was on the island of Capri (off the coast of Naples). Over 3,000 euros for a very slinky dress! And about the same amount for matching shoes. And then you can only wear them for about three months before they are out of fashion again.
Mara recently posted..On to the beaches!My Profile

Aledys Ver March 27, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Well, for those of us who are not as lucky as you to go (window) shopping in Rome, this post is Heaven :) I like a couple of outfits here (don’t worry, not the fake leopard one) and the big bag with that bald mannequin all dressed in white. She looks a bit like a mummy from ancient Egypt, doesn’t she.
Aledys Ver recently posted..The Jesuit legacy in Córdoba (Argentina) – Jesús MaríaMy Profile

kobi March 27, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I’ve never noticed mannequin hair… or lack of it! I’ll have to make it a point to look next time I pass a clothing store.

I could never wear anything like it, but I do like the white coat with the square patterns.
kobi recently posted..Metz LinkMy Profile

Turkey's For Life March 28, 2012 at 10:49 am

No, I’m not a member of the fashionista tribe either and looking at your photos here, I suspect I’m going to feel very scruffy while traipsing around the streets of Rome! :)
Julia
Turkey’s For Life recently posted..Exploring Fethiye: The Lycian Rock Tombs In PhotosMy Profile

Kelly March 28, 2012 at 7:39 pm

We’ve got some horribly scary looking mannequins here at the markets in Lima. I’ve noticed an awful lot of bald ones in the upper crust shops, too. When the boys were smaller, we used to walk past the windows and make up stories about them and their deficits in hair, head, arms or legs.
Kelly recently posted..How to Choose a School in Lima?My Profile

missfootloose March 28, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Oh, that’s funny! You could make a fun post with pictures of those scary mannequins!

Annabel Candy, Get In the Hot Spot March 29, 2012 at 7:56 am

Hi Ms. K,

Maybe bald is coming into fashion. Would be handy for all those women who’s hair has fallen out after chemo….
Annabel Candy, Get In the Hot Spot recently posted..24 Hours in Kanazawa: Historic Japan Travel TipsMy Profile

linda@adventuresinexpatland.com March 29, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I’m not a fashionista, and it’s been awhile since I had to dress up for the work world, but it sure was fun strolling the sidewalks of Rome via your blog post checking out the latest fashions. You’ve given me incentive to go do my (trying to become) daily workout, bedankt!
linda@adventuresinexpatland.com recently posted..Spring Cleaning? Grab Your BucketMy Profile

marja March 31, 2012 at 10:34 am

Lol we had bold mannequins in my parents shop but they had wigs.
The Italien fashion is top notch great shots Groetjes

Erica @ Expatria, Baby April 2, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Foot pain, knee pain, back pain aside, I die for those shoes! Oh my!
Erica @ Expatria, Baby recently posted..92/366 {hanami}My Profile