Expat Foodie: What to Do With Goose Fat?

by missfootloose on December 27, 2011 · 14 comments

in And So It Goes

What did you eat for Christmas dinner? I cooked a free range, Moldovan village goose. I remember cooking a goose once, in the US, when our offspring was young. They didn’t want anything to do with it, culinary heathens that they were. They wanted turkey.

So this year I saw my chance and decided on a goose. There are lots of them roaming free here in the countryside in Moldova. It was delicious, but it didn’t have as much meat as I had expected.

Only a dinner plate full of meat from a 3.2 kg ( 7 lb) goose

I ended up with plenty of good fat though, which I am keeping and may make presents of to foodies and nutrition fans, if I can find them! Apparently it is very good for you, and it’s widely used in cooking in the south of France. And we know how unhealthy they are (not). I have now a supply to last me for years, so sharing seems like a good thing to do.

And if you did not receive my Holiday Greetings, here they are.

What did you eat for Christmas dinner? Do you have good recipes using goose fat?

GutsyLiving December 27, 2011 at 9:38 pm

We had a wonderful Danish frokost (lunch) with sild, (pickled herring) medister polse (some veal and pork sausage) rodkaal (red cabbage) etc. No goose fat recipes from me. A pity it’s not foie gras.
GutsyLiving recently posted..“My Gutsy Story” by Ian MillerMy Profile

missfootloose December 31, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I also cooked “rodekool” (red cabbage) for Christmas dinner to go with the goose. Traditional foods are fun to cook for the holidays. With your French background I thought you might have some experience with goose, and I thought goose was traditional for Christmas in Denmark.
missfootloose recently posted..Life Abroad: Of Red Undies, Sugary Pigs, and Freezing WatersMy Profile

Nikki December 28, 2011 at 11:59 pm

I am home with the family for christmas and many of them are Samoan. We had three kinds of meat, taro, fish, and coconut cream all cooked in an umu, a kind of earth oven. It’s traditionally made by the men so I just made a salad and relaxed.
I know you can use goose fat for soap and I have had a lot of fun making my own soap in the past. If you are looking for something easier, there is a whole website at http://www.goosefat.co.uk/
Nikki recently posted..New book proves it – I know the proper English.My Profile

missfootloose December 31, 2011 at 2:54 pm

What an interesting lunch, and what a wonderful idea that the men have to cook it. Thanks for the goose fat link. Happy New Year to you and yours!

Aledys Ver December 30, 2011 at 12:23 am

Sorry that the goose was a bit disappointing but it does look good!
For Christmas we had Chester… no, don’t worry, we didn’t eat up my grandma’s poodle. It seems that a chester, is a pumped up chicken that is more meaty than just chicken and not as big or expensive as turkey. It was the first time I had heard about this bird but it seems it’s becoming popular in Brazil, where the friend who invited us for dinner comes from…. For dessert, I prepared a cassata, a typical Sicilian cake with ricotta cheese, candied fruit, nuts and chocolate and covered with marzipan.
I don’t think we actually ate any local (NL) food this Christmas! 😀
Happy New Year!!!
Aledys Ver recently posted..Happy Holidays!My Profile

missfootloose December 31, 2011 at 2:52 pm

How do they fatten up those chesters? Not with hormones, I hope! I just googled it: It’s the result of a genetic selection project. Anyway, that Sicilian cassata, now there’s something fabulous: Just about everything sinfully delicious together in one cake! Must be really good! I’m going to look for a recipe. Happy New Year!

Aledys Ver December 31, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Yes, that’s exactly what I thought when my friend explained what a chester was… but oh well, the “normal” chickens we get here every day at the supermarket are no different – I like to call them, “anemic” chickens for their total absense of colour (or taste).
The cassata is indeed to die for – instantly in a figurative way, and slowly in the literal sense, especially if you eat it too often ahaha.
I can send you my recipe for cassata – it’s quite simple, not as elaborate as the traditional ones tend to be.
Happy New Year!!
Aledys Ver recently posted..New Year traditionsMy Profile

Michael December 30, 2011 at 7:39 am

I’ve never tried goose, but it looks lovely. We had turkey, ham and duck. Happy new year!
Michael recently posted..North Korea’s big new fat dictatorMy Profile

Steph December 30, 2011 at 2:19 pm

We always have home-raised turkey for Christmas, delicious. But next year we hope to start rearing geese.
Goose fat is great for all sorts of things. Rub potatoes with it before roasting and they’re very tasty. My husband uses goose fat to fry the beef for a bourguignon. And of course you can always cover yourself in it and swim the channel!
Steph recently posted..Skating on Thin Plastic – Ice That Isn’t!My Profile

Andrew Duffin January 2, 2012 at 11:16 pm

We had goose.

They have several advantages: (1) They cannot be factory-farmed, so any goose at all will be free-range and tasty (2) There is not much meat on them, as you found, but this means there are no endless leftovers; three days and ours was all gone (3) You get all that yummy fat which cooks the world’s best roast potatoes.

otoh they are fairly expensive.

No more turkey in our house – it’s dull beyond words.

Walter Knight January 4, 2012 at 11:25 pm

On the topic of exotic food . . . my Aunt Marge was abducted by an iguana hiding in the barn.

I think the iguana is really an alien, but I do not know for sure. It is really a good liar. We thought that Marge was the liar, always cracking those jokes about a talking lizard in her backyard and a spaceship in her barn. It turns out she kept a straight face because she was not joking.

When she disappeared, I flew out to see if I could find anything. I have always been good about finding things, but finding Aunt Marge has been real hard. I have not found her yet, but I figured I would write all this down. Better if I did it all right away. I keep a note pad by my bed.

It could really be aliens who got her, because of the spaceship in the barn and all the oil stains on the grass. I asked the police to test for radiation, but they were too busy. I suspect the police might not have an open mind about aliens. I think either the aliens left in the spaceship, or the iguana ate her.

So, I would like some advice: if I eat the iguana, is it cannibalism?

missfootloose January 8, 2012 at 10:36 am

Walter, on the topic of writing novels, was this comment actually meant to be part of one of your books? Did your imagination run away with you? 😉