Fun Abroad: 10 Fabulous Expat Blogger Stories

by missfootloose on April 30, 2011 · 19 comments

in adventure, Expat life, expat stories, Humor

All expats are familiar with the dramas and upheavals of a move across continents and the subsequent efforts to set up house  in a foreign country where you don’t know the language and even the simple task of finding a carton of plain, unflavored yogurt can be struggle.  Although I have now managed to figure out what a container of unadulterated yogurt looks like in Moldova where my prince and I have recently parked ourselves, I will not yet entertain bore you with the other details of my life here.

Instead, I’ve gathered here for your enjoyment a colorful collection of hilarious or humorous stories posted by other expat bloggers.  I hereby thank these writers for entertaining me.  The stories take place all over the world: in Finland, Cuba, Spain, Vietnam, Mauritania, Ghana, Iraq, Turkey and even in the Amazon jungle of Venezuela.  Enjoy!

Photo © Ken Duffy | used by permission

Here they are in random order:

1) Here is Havana is the blog of American travel writer and expat Conner who lives in Cuba with her Cuban husband where they struggle to keep their marriage alive on a mattress from hell.  A CUBAN BED TIME STORY.  No, it’s not a fairy tale.

2) Who’d think that exercising at the gym can be such fun?  Really, just go to Mauritania with this American expat who blogs at Planet Nomad and have a look:  SWEAT IT OUT (in Mauritania).

3) Where do you buy your sex toys?  British Heather lives in Finland and goes to the supermarket.  Oh, the fun!  Her blog is A Note from Lapland and here’s her story: SUPERMARKET SEX TOYS (no, not the vegetables).

4) Canadian Carolyn blogs at This Cat’s Abroad and now lives in the Kurdish area of Iraq.  Even scary stuff can be funny if you know how to write: GUNNING FOR IRAQ

5) When this British expat in Spain gets Very Bored in Catalunya she meditates creatively on trimming the topiary “down there.”  THE CHANGING TIMES OF PERSONAL GROOMING (down there…)

6) Canadian expat of Holli’s Ramblings lives in Ghana, West Africa, where she once employed a bit of juju to get a stolen bracelet back: JUJU AND U. Fascinating!

Voodoo Doll © Andreas Meyer | Dreamstime.com

7)  Mary Whitsell, a serial expat who blogs at Resident Alien, wrote a humorous story about a confusing exchange she had with a Turkish student: PATIENCE OF A SAINT.

8)  American Jungle Mom writes from The Jungle Hut and lives the missionary life in Paraguay, South America.  She spent many years in the Amazon jungle in Venezuela and once mistakenly tried to kill people using a magic death stone.  Here’s the story: THE DEATH STONE.

9)  This American (Canadian?) Australian expat lives in Vietnam with her Vietnamese husband and is the blogger of  The Drop Out Diaries. She finds that the English language can be very confusing for her dear husband as you can read in her story TESTICLE FACE.

10)  And to round it all off, a video: American travel writer Carole Terwilliger Meyers blogs at Travels with Carol and offers us a funny video starring Tim Conway, Harvey Korman, and Carol Burnett:  NO FRILLS AIRLINE.

Did you enjoy these stories?   And if you know of other humorous or hilarious tales, please send the links!

rambles with reese April 30, 2011 at 5:22 am

These blogs look like great fun! Thanks for recommending them. I’m going to hop on over and have a look!

missfootloose May 2, 2011 at 7:28 am

Let me know what you think! And if you know of similar fun stories, do share the links, please!

Turkey's For Life April 30, 2011 at 7:33 am

Will have a look at these blogs. Thanks for the recommendations. The Iraq one looks particularly interesting! (Oh, and just thought I’d let you know, we’ve been following (the fabulous) Dropout Diaries for a while and she’s an Aussie.)
Julia

missfootloose May 2, 2011 at 7:29 am

Thanks for the info, Julia. I corrected it. Enjoy the stories and let me know what you think.

The Dropout May 5, 2011 at 5:36 am

Hi there! Yes, I’m an Aussie and we’re living in Singapore at the moment.
Thanks for the mention. Boy, am I in some great company! What a lot of fun everyone’s had.

Connie April 30, 2011 at 10:30 am

Great list! Since I’m a recent new expat (American currently living in Hong Kong), these blogs will be great blog additions for me to read!

missfootloose May 2, 2011 at 7:39 am

You can check out my blog list to find more fun blogs if you’re looking.

I just finished part one of your love story in India and will now read about your arranged marriage . . .

Lady Fi May 2, 2011 at 6:36 am

Oh, can’t wait to read some of these…

So glad to hear you are alive and well, despite yoghurt fiascos perhaps, in Moldavia. Looking forward to hearing about life – and seeing pictures!

missfootloose May 2, 2011 at 7:45 am

No yogurt fiasco. I studied the various items for 15 minutes or so and made an educated guess (recognizing the other similar containers as being sour cream) and took it home (read: hotel). I figured if it was sold in the dairy section it probably wouldn’t kill me whatever it turned out to be. And it was yogurt, real good yogurt.

PS. The fruity, flavored stuff, Dannon, Activa, etc. are easy to recognize, but I wanted to plain, white stuff.

MaryWitzl May 2, 2011 at 11:57 am

Thank you for posting my link! I can’t wait to read the other posts. I’ve been taking a writing break; we’re having extremely rare good weather in Scotland and I can’t afford to miss it. But it shouldn’t take long for it to go back to normal.

Glad you’ve made it safe and sound to Moldova. I’m really looking forward to hearing about your adventures there too.

missfootloose May 3, 2011 at 6:27 am

I had to be in Holland for a while just after arriving in Moldova, so am a bit slow in getting into my new life in Moldova. Great weather in Holland too!

priya May 3, 2011 at 6:06 am

You must have a look at this article by Sharell Cook and her insights to a life in India. I am just a fan of her blog! and loved your blog too 🙂

missfootloose May 3, 2011 at 6:26 am

Priya, thank you so much for that link! It was fascinating! I’m not crazy about climbing in and out of bath tubs to take a shower, but boy it beats an Indian “wet” bathroom for sure. Then again, it is amazing what people prefer once they grow up with it.

priya May 4, 2011 at 5:22 am

Wet bathrooms suck !!! seriously!And it just got so ingrained in Indian homes that there is really no escape! 🙂

missfootloose May 9, 2011 at 2:39 am

I expect renovating a wet bathroom into a “dry” Western one costs a ton of money, and the rest of the family has to want to convert.

Aledys Ver May 5, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Thanks for recommending all these blogs! They sound like fun, I’m already taking a peek…. Groetjes!

Grace May 7, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Great round up. I’ve been looking for new expat blogs to read- The Dropout Diaries is actually one of my faves. Thanks!

naomi May 28, 2011 at 7:36 am

What a great … and hysterical list!! Happy to have found you… and some new ones in the process!

missfootloose May 28, 2011 at 9:47 am

Glad you enjoyed the list, and welcome to my blog!