EXPAT TRAVEL: LUGGAGE LAUGHS

by missfootloose on November 13, 2010 · 23 comments

in And So It Goes, Humor, travel

You’re a traveler or an expat and you don’t think there is anything funny about luggage troubles? Are you sure? No humor? No laughs at all?

You pack your precious things, your spend hours on planes, hours in transit lounges, and then one day your suitcases are not there on the blasted belt. It’s not funny!

Yes it is! Just look at this video, enjoy, and tell me about your luggage troubles.

What’s your luggage story? Surely, you have one! Tell me something about suitcases, airplanes, travel. Any advice?

Ballerina Girl November 13, 2010 at 2:48 am

funny man…
well, I have plenty of luggage stories… broken handles, stolen TSA locks, items that I can’t live without in my far off destinations, spilling all over the plane or the airport…
actually those two were quite funny…maybe deserving of a post all their own!

BG

missfootloose November 14, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Go ahead, write that post! We all need a laugh!

Mara November 13, 2010 at 7:45 am

He is very funny!

I never lost my luggage yet. It’s always arrived in one piece as well. Fortunately!

Miss Footloose November 15, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Oh, there is time! No, really, I hope you stay lucky!

Dixie November 13, 2010 at 8:18 am

Hola Karen, Yes this is so funny I saw it a few months ago but now you have refreshed my memory I shall post it to FB. We have some stories especially about traveling into Ecuador. They are quite a story so I need to get back to you on that. Look forward to seeing you back in EC one day. Bye for now.

Miss Footloose November 15, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Dixie, I love stories, so do tell! Or maybe you can make them a post on your blog 😉

Nancy Atkinson November 13, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Funny!

guyana gyal November 13, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Mine is too embarrassing to tell. Honest. Too, too embarrassing. But it has to do with, um, spoilt food.

missfootloose November 14, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Spoilt food . . . now I’m curious. Hope it wasn’t fresh shrimp!

guyana gyal November 13, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Luv you too, Rhod Gilbert.

Oh, that was soooo funny!

Madame DeFarge November 14, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Luggage lost en route from Istanbul to home. M. DeFarge’s luggage lost in transit between somewhere in Turkey and Istanbul. I am convinced that Istanbul is a Bermuda triangle for luggage.

Miss Footloose November 15, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Thank you for the warning! I haven’t been to Turkey yet, but want to go. I may have to reconsider! Or just take all my old clothes.

GutsyWriter November 15, 2010 at 12:43 am

Last May, I pulled out my address book at Heathrow Airport, Terminal 5, to call my friend Vickie, and say, “Goodbye.” I fumbled around looking for a Ziploc bag full of coins for the pay phone, then spent thirty minutes chatting. By the end, I had forgotten my address book, and walked away to catch my LA flight. I had all my addresses and phone numbers of friends from around the world, and called Heathrow “lost and found,” as soon as I got home. No one had turned it in. Now Christmas 2010 will be different as I cannot send my annual card with our family photo. I have to hope they write to me first, with their address.

Miss Footloose November 15, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Losing your address book is traumatic! Hopefully your friends will write, or maybe you have their email addresses in your computer?

guyana gyal November 15, 2010 at 10:53 am

No, no, not shrimps 🙂

Laural Out Loud November 16, 2010 at 12:04 pm

There has not been one single time that we’ve flown from Brazil back home that things havne’t been stolen out of our luggange. If we’re lucky enough to have lag behind en route and delivered to us at home the day after our arrival, even more is missing. This time we’re using the seran wrap station at the airport and hopefully that will deter any thieving!

Miss Footloose November 16, 2010 at 12:41 pm

That’s really unbelievable! There must be something about leaving Brazil . . . I’ve traveled from and to Asia, Africa, Europe and the USA and I’ve never had anything lost or stolen, knock on wood. Sometimes my luggage didn’t arrive, but it always showed up a day later, or later that night on another flight.

What is this thing about Brazil? I sure hope the plastic wrap thing will help!

Boonie November 17, 2010 at 11:16 am

I once met Rhod Gilbert at a luggage carousel. He’d been there for quite some time I understand – although I couldn’t quite get a handle on what he was saying. He really is a very funny guy.
Thanks for sharing this video.

All the best, Boonie

maria altobelli November 17, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Maybe, Bonnie, if you caught him at the same time as his experience recorded in the funny, funny video, he was talking about the handle that came with the luggage he didn’t get.

JoAnne Stein November 18, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Very funny video! I think anyone who travels a lot and has lived abroad has a travel story. My biggest travel misadventure was when my luggage was lost flying from France to Russia (with a stop in Italy) and took several months for it to be located and a lot of back and forth calls between airports in Moscow. I outlined all the details on my blog (there are way too many, and too crazy to go into here) but it was a nightmare to say the least. I also had an incident where the luggage handle fell off my suitcase in the middle of the Moscow metro and rolled away from me down some stairs. Recently, when flying from London to New York I had some things stolen from my suitcase and that was the first time for that. I’ve since begun traveling very light, checking luggage as little as possible, using the “saran wrap” machine, or putting my things into vacuum bags to save space and prevent theft.

missfootloose November 18, 2010 at 9:50 pm

You certainly have had your troubles! Incredible that you ever got your luggage back after months went by! The Moscow metro incident could have caused broken bones if someone had tripped over your suitcase. Good luck from now on!