LIFE ABROAD: THE FABULOUS, THE FUNKY, AND THE FREAKY

by missfootloose on September 11, 2010 · 8 comments

in Culture and Customs, exotica, Humor, life abroad

The world is a wonderful place!  When you live abroad or travel around the globe and you have an open mind, how can you ever not be thrilled and charmed by all the spectacular sights and weird stuff you set your eyes on?  You tell me.

Red-Eyed Tree Frog, Costa Rica

Photo by Chad Galloway/cc

For this post, dear reader, I am going to do some poaching for your entertainment and offer you a few sites to explore.  Trust me, you will not be bored.  And if you are, there is no hope for you.

First, feast your eyes on the photos in the link below.  Your mood will instantly be elevated when you see the brilliant images:  Serotonin will flood your brain and your senses will dance and your heart will sing.  You’ll want to pack a bag and go traveling our fabulous world.  So hit it already:

THE MOST COLORFUL PLACES ON THE GLOBE

In what type of house would you like to live?

Try living here. Cube Houses in the Netherlands

Photo by tdietmut/cc

Now, if you live or have lived a globetrotting life as a traveler or expat, you will have domiciled in many houses, apartments, huts, shacks, tents, and maybe even castles.  But you probably have never lived in any of the places on this link:

THE 15 STRANGEST HOUSES FROM AROUND THE GLOBE

Do museums bore you?

The Hash Museum in Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Photo by Lauren Rauk/cc

Now for some freaky stuff.  How about a toilet seat museum?   Just what the world was waiting for. Check out this link:

TEN FREAKIEST MUSEUMS ON THE GLOBE

And no, the Hash Museum is not on this list.  It’s not weird enough.

So, dear reader, let me know if you’ve been entertained, and what you think.  You know the routine: Hit that comment icon and chat me up a bit.

Lady Fi September 11, 2010 at 1:52 am

A hash museum! Hilarious…

Quickroute September 11, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I hope they serve munchie food in the hash museum – that frog looks tasty mind you!

MartyrMom September 13, 2010 at 7:17 pm

WOW

land of shimp September 14, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Now that was marvelous amounts of fun. I agree, if you don’t let out a gasp of appreciation, particularly at that first picture of South Africa? There may be no hope for you. Perhaps daily chocolate therapy, glee-infusions and hefty doses of exhilaration might bring such an individual back from the dour-brink, but I doubt it.

maria altobelli September 14, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Fantastic! That Hash Museum sounded freaky enough to interest us when we were in the Netherlands on our way to Latvia (a great country by the way, but not a very colorful one under most circumstances), but there was no time. You kind of hate to tell someone you missed your plane because you were visiting the Hash Museum.

The photos made me want to pack a suitcase even though I’ve just unpacked one.

Nice way, Miss Footloose, to brighten our day.

Mireille September 14, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I actually made one of the cube houses for a project at school, BEFORE they were build in the Netherlands, so I should get credit for these…

Doris September 15, 2010 at 8:00 am

This was a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing this eclectic assortment of neat things for us to enjoy. Doris

missfootloose September 24, 2010 at 9:16 am

@ Lady Fi: Hilarious, yes, a hash museum. Last year in Brussels they opened the Celebrity Underwear Museum. I wonder what’s next?

@ Quickroute: Munchies in the Hash Museum? I sure hope so!

@ Martyrmom: Wow indeed. I love our beautiful, wacky world!

@ Land of Shimp: Nice to see you here again! What an amazing world it is if you look for the fun and good side of things.

@ Maria, hola! It is nice to know that there is always something else to see next time around. So put the Hash Museum on your list next time you come to the Netherlands. And of course the flower gardens (Keukenhof) for more to color your day.

@ Mireille: You are the creative type so I am not surprised you designed the cube houses for a school project before they were actually built! I only hope you’re not creative enough to actually be able to live in one!

@ Doris: It’s fun to look for the good and wacky stuff in the world. Too much emphasis is placed on the bad and the ugly. Happy travels!