EXPAT LIFE: HOME COUNTRY HUMOR

by missfootloose on July 16, 2010 · 13 comments

in Expat life, Humor, Netherlands

As a traveler or an expat sojourning in foreign climes you sometimes come across information, news, or happenings from your home country that just make you burst with pride.

Hailing from the land of tulips and wooden shoes, I’d like to share with you this video by the Groen Brothers about a bizarre innovative new trend in green transportation developed in the Netherlands. It’s called HUPPELEN, or . . . well you just have to see it to believe it. I am so proud to be Dutch. Thank Zeus there is YouTube to spread this around the world.

Please share with me similar moments of pride you have experienced about your home country.

Walter Knight July 16, 2010 at 10:25 am

I loved the skipping policemen. Very funny. Have you seen the video showing the dancing Isreali Army patrol? (Music by Lady GaGa) They’re great!

Aledys Ver July 17, 2010 at 9:35 am

LoL!! Very funny!!
It immediately reminded me of John Cleese’s funny walk, too. 😀

Madame DeFarge July 17, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Wonderful. I shall endeavour to do this regularly. Except I’d bounce too much.

The Blogs Rocket July 18, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Very nice article, thanks! I’ve subscribed to your RSS feed. Please keep up posting.

GutsyWriter July 18, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Do you skip too? What a great way to burn extra calories. The skinny guys must be skipping from one end of town to the other. Can you imagine a skipping police chase?

Mara July 18, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Eeeehhhhmmmm…. Not sure whether to be proud or just try to hide under a rock until it’s over! Very funny though…

Expat American July 19, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Hilarious! A friend of mine wants to create a viral video for Youku, the Chinese version of YouTube. I’m going to suggest he do something about Beijingers taking up skipping!

MaryWitzl July 21, 2010 at 4:40 am

That is so wonderful. I’m bursting with pride myself for having lived in the Netherlands and being part Dutch. The really great thing about this is the deadpan nature of the humor. It took me at least ten seconds to realize it wasn’t serious.

MartyrMom July 22, 2010 at 12:52 am

I think I’m going to enjoy traveling with you! I can’t wait to read more….

missfootloose July 22, 2010 at 4:10 pm

@ Walter Knight — Dancing Israeli Army patrol? REALLY? No, I have not seen the video. I’ve had encounters with real-life Israeli soldiers at checkpoints and they were not dancing and neither was I 😉 Will look for the video!

@ Felix: Thank you so much for that link. Hilarious! Starting the day laughing is as good as it gets.

@ Aledys Ver: Glad you enjoyed!

@ Madame DeFarge: For females it is suggested they wear industrial strength support brassieres.

@ Mara, surely you are not surprised about how silly our countrymen can be?

@ Expat American: I would love to see the Chinese skipping around town!

@ Mary Witzl: Yes, the first time I saw it it took me a minute too. After all, you never know about these Dutch people!

@ MartyrMom: More fun is coming!

Boonsong July 23, 2010 at 2:04 am

My proudest moment was probably when we won the Inter Tribal Python Wrestling Championships. It was a very special time for everyone except the Pythons.
Very amusing post. Thanks for this.

All the best, Boonsong

missfootloose July 25, 2010 at 1:55 pm

@ Boonsong: the INTER TRIBAL PYTHON WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIPS! How fantastic! Never heard of python wrestling! Is there a video???