EXPAT LIFE: PEARLS OF WISDOM, SOME FAKE

by missfootloose on September 19, 2009 · 23 comments

in expat, Expat life, Humor, travel

Miss Footloose loves quotations about expats and travel. And since she needs a break from story telling she decided to share some of her gems with you.

Once in a while it really hits people that they don’t have to experience the world in the way they have been told to. – Alan Keightley

Photo Upside Down by Karen Hoffmann /
CC BY-NC-ND

There is nothing like a comfortable adventure to put people in a good humour…”
– Peter Mayle

Three things spoil a man’s health: worry, travel, and sin. The Talmud

Remember the Old Traveler’s Saying: “You may lose your money and your health and your sanity and some important organs, but they can’t take away your travel memories unless they hit you hard on the head.” From Dave Barry’s Only Travel Guide You’ll Ever Need by Dave Barry

Ernest Hemingway’s Paris hangout, LES DEUX MAGOT. Photo by Uploaded / CC BY-NC-ND

You’re an expatriate. You’ve lost touch with the soil. You get precious. Fake European standards have ruined you. You drink yourself to death. You become obsessed with sex. You spend all your time talking, not working. You are an expatriate, see? You hang around cafes. – Ernest Hemingway

The first condition of understanding a foreign country is to smell it. – Rudyard Kipling

The more I traveled, the more I realized that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends. – Shirley Maclaine

Photo of potential friend by Frederic Poirot / CC BY-NC-ND

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. – Mark Twain

(So make friends with this guy already)

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries. – Aldous Huxley

Be careful going in search of adventure. It is ridiculously easy to find. – William Least Heat Moon.

I travel a lot; I hate having my life interrupted by routine. – Caskie Stinnett

You know what’s coming, don’t you? Please share your pearls of wisdom!

Marja September 19, 2009 at 8:18 am

No nobody can take away your travel memories. They are treasures to keep. I love to roam in my shoeboxes with memories of great trips. Great quotes. Hoe gaat het met je? Hoop alles is goed. Groetjes uit NZ

Anna van Gelderen September 19, 2009 at 8:53 am

This is one of my favourites:
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”
Augustine of Hippo

———
Anna, originally from Joure and still regularly visiting Sneek.

Turquoise Diaries September 19, 2009 at 9:00 am

I love love them and already wrote couple of them to my memory book..

Lauri September 19, 2009 at 10:20 am

So many lovely quotes. Loved this- Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Should send it off to my elder sister, she needs a serious dose of travel.

The pale observer September 19, 2009 at 1:37 pm

“Twenty years from now, you’ll regret the things you didn’t do, rather than the things you did do. So cast off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

The pale observer September 19, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Sent you another comment which isn’t showing up…

marigirl September 20, 2009 at 6:37 am

Great quotes! I don’t know where you found them all, but I’ve only seen one of them before. Now I want to go have an adventure! 🙂

marigirl September 20, 2009 at 6:40 am

here’s my cynical favorite:

Most travel is best of all in the anticipation or the remembering; the reality has more to do with losing your luggage. ~Regina Nadelson

Sylvia Dickey Smith September 20, 2009 at 11:54 am

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.- Mark Twain

Loved them all, and they are indeed pearls of wisdom. But Mark Twain’s grabbed me the hardest–since I have found it to be so true! My motto is everyone should live abroad for a year or two.

Miss Footloose September 20, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Thank you for your replies!

@ Marja, hope you’ll have more travels in your future! Alles goed hier! Leuk van je te horen.

@ Anna van Gelderen, nice to meet another Dutch person here in cyberspace. I love visiting my home town of Sneek (in the Netherlands for you who wonder where Sneek is.) I like the Hippo quote! Groetjes.

@ Turquoise (my favorite color): I’ve got more quotes for a future post, so keep in touch 😉

@ Lauri K. I know lots of people who need a serious dose of traveling — unfortunately they don’t always see it the way we do!

@ Pale Observer: Yes, that’s a great quote. We’ve made a couple of big decisions by asking ourselves if we might be sorry if we DID NOT do this or that. A little risk here and there keeps things interesting!

@ Marigirl: I like that cynical quote! Often true for tourist travel, I think.

@ Sylvia D.S. I agree with you. Imagine how many open minds we’d have if everybody did actually have the opportunity to travel and live in a foreign country for a couple of years.

Jungle Mom September 20, 2009 at 11:00 pm

“If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” James Michener

Scintilla September 21, 2009 at 1:07 pm

What an exceptional list of quotations ! Mind if I copy a few??

LadyFi September 21, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Love these quotes… travel is indeed the antidote to narrow-mindedness!

“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveller only who is foreign.” Robert Louis Stevenson

The pale observer September 21, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Thanks Miss Footloose! It’s true – a little risk keeps us alive 🙂

Miss Footloose September 22, 2009 at 12:11 am

@ Jungle Mom, I love that Michener quote too! Very true. I’ve wondered at times what expats were doing holed up in their offices or embassies and never venturing outside to learn about their environment, just waiting to leave.

@ Scintilla. Feel free to “take” them all. The quotations are in the public domain as I understand it, and all you should do is give credit to whomever made the statements (Mark Twain, Hemingway, etc.)

@ LadyFi. Thank you for your pearl! Excellent.

GutsyWriter September 22, 2009 at 3:31 am

Now I feel better. Who is the person with all the piercings? Never seen a person like him in my neighborhood.

Miss Footloose September 23, 2009 at 1:53 am

@ Gutsy Writer, you can learn a few things about the person with the piercings by clicking on the name of the photographer. It will take you to the photo on the Flickr site and all the comments telling about this guy. He’s in Europe some place, so not in your neighborhood 😉

The pale observer September 23, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Hi Miss Footloose et all… For the past few days I can’t see followers in my blog or others – the title is there but the space where the widget normally sits is blank… has anyone had a similar experience?

Please visit my blog and let me know if the followers widget is visible. Thanks!

Elizabeth Bradley September 25, 2009 at 4:47 am

I want to travel more!

Lizzy Frizzfrock September 26, 2009 at 1:26 am

Without travel “I would have wound up a little ignorant white Southern female, which was not my idea of a good life.” — Lauren Hutton

That says it all for me. I came from a very small town in Georgia & couldn’t wait to get outta Dodge! I love the idea of travel and always feel home is where the heart is and that is wherever my husband & my dog are located… hopefully in the same location.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I’m very much enjoying yours.

Hans and Shinta September 27, 2009 at 10:54 am

Oh!!! I love traveling too! I’ve been to 20 some countries, but now finally settled in the Faroe Islands (that I had never heard of before!) with my Faroese husband. Come visit my site when yuo have the time =) Glad to have found your site! =)

bettyl September 28, 2009 at 3:24 am

Wonderful quotes–all of them! I can’t think of any travel quotes at the moment, but will come back if I do!

Mary Witzl October 2, 2009 at 11:33 am

Love Augustine of Hippo’s quote. That is pretty much my philosophy too — to heck with the Talmud when it comes to travel.

And I’m so thrilled: I can get about 80% of Marja’s Dutch! *How goes it with you, right?) “Hoop alles is goed” — I’d be ashamed if that one sailed over my head.